Two residents still have a home thanks to their new domestic sprinkler system.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service was called to a fire in a bungalow on Barr Close, Battle Hill, just before 7pm last Saturday.It is believed the fire started in the kitchen when a visiting carer accidentally left a bag on the hob, the front door glass panels being blown out when an aerosol and bottle of perfume exploded in the heat.

Fortunately, no one was at home at the time.When the fire broke out, the detector head closest to the fire activated, spraying a fine mist into the kitchen which cooled the smoke and quickly suppressed the fire.

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service and North Tyneside Council joined forces in 2014 to fund jointly the fitting of domestic sprinkler systems in nine bungalows at Barr Close.#

Assistant Chief Fire Officer John Baines said: “Thankfully no one was injured during this incident and the domestic sprinkler system activated to extinguish the fire quickly.“Many of our vulnerable people are choosing to live independently in their own homes so we want to make sure they stay as safe as possible from fire.“

Clear evidence suggests the installation of sprinklers, especially in the homes of our most vulnerable members is one of the most effective measures in protecting occupants from fire.”

Mayor Norma Redfearn said: “The safety of our residents is of paramount importance to us. By installing sprinkler systems, we can give some of our more vulnerable residents added protection in their own homes.”

Coun Carole Burdis, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Authority Member for North Tyneside, said: “Sprinkler systems provide the ultimate protection from fire, which is even more important for the most vulnerable members of our communities.“This is why we are campaigning for sprinkler systems to be fitted to all new and existing homes.”Fire crews will be in the area during the next few days to offer neighbours free fire home safety advice and to fit smoke alarms where they are needed.

Contact your local fire station to book a free Home Safety Check and go to visit to find out more about the benefits of domestic sprinklers.

Source: Sprinkler saves home from fire – News Guardian